At an early age, Drake began studying to become an artist like his father, but as his training ensued he started to crave structure within his artistic practice. In architecture, he found that the opportunity to challenge him creatively lay not only within the physical design, but also within the agencies, codes, and constraints that are inherent in every project. It’s within these boundaries that Drake began to creatively thrive, and he knew he had found his calling.
Drake Dillard is a registered architect with more than 32 years of experience in the management design and construction of medical, educational and commercial industry. His duties have encompassed program development, budget estimates, schedule development, consultant selection and management of multi-disciplinary project teams. Throughout his career, Drake has been instrumental in directing the design and construction process—identifying general and specialty contractors, evaluating and approving changes, monitoring and tracking project progress, as well as controlling project cost, schedules and cash flows.
- Destination Crenshaw #Destination Crenshaw Outdoor Street Museum Los Angeles, California
- King’s College Hospital–Dubai New Hospital Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- Cedars-Sinai Medical Center— Cancer Center Pharmacy (OSHPD) — Lower Level Pharmacy Renovation Los Angeles, California
- Providence Tarzana Medical Center Redevelopment Tarzana, California
- Intermountain Healthcare Alta View Hospital Campus Reconfiguration Sandy, Utah
- Kaiser Permanente Los Angeles Medical Center Los Angeles, Californi
- Security Forces Medical Center
- Riyadh, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Security Forces Medical Center
- Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Kaiser Permanente— West Los Angeles Medical Center — Los Angeles Medical Center Los Angeles, California
- Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Medical Offices Bellflower, California
- Grossmont Healthcare District 2 Bond Measure “G” La Mesa, California
- Public Building Commission of Chicago, Illinois Chicago, Illinois
- Los Angeles Unified School District Measure K Projects for Area C Los Angeles, California
- Senate Bill 1953 Los Angeles County Hospitals Los Angeles, California
- New Orleans Parish School District New Orleans, Louisiana
- Charles R. Drew University Los Angeles, California
- Social Insurance Hospitals of Iran Tehran, Isfahan and Tabriz, Iran
Drakes dedication to supporting his community extends far beyond his profession. As a passionate volunteer, he works with organizations such as the National Organization of Minority Architects (NOMA), Board of director of the AIA LA Chapter serves on the Crenshaw Design Review Board, LA County Commissioner and volunteers with the Crenshaw YMCA just to name a few.
He is also a Teaching Assistant for University of Southern California School of Business Administration, Minority Program in Real Estate Finance and Development
Drake considers himself to be a citizen’s architect, one who works to better society through culture. He has dedicated his career to giving a voice to those who find it difficult to advocate for themselves. “Everyone deserves good design. Everyone.” he says, and he works tirelessly to ensure that the communities he serves transform physically, while remaining sensitive to the residents and users the project serves.
“I firmly believe that team building and managing is so important. When you have a team that’s positive and doing something that they all believe in, it makes for a successful project.”
When Drake isn’t working or volunteering, he can be found salsa dancing!
A secret passion of his is the art of Bonsai. His oldest tree is over 40 years old (or young, depending on how you look at it!)